Sunday, April 13, 2008

Screwtape Letter 20

I thought it quite amusing how Screwtape was leading Wormwood to help the Patient fall in love. In particular to fall in love with someone who didn't lead him to a helpfully spiritual, happy and fertile marriage. This type of relationship and subsequent marriage would be bad for Screwtape to get the Patient completely. When Screwtape went on to describe how they have had a hand in attraction it was also quite interesting. To make the beard unattractive to females, and how they have changed who men are attracted to. How they are currently drawing the desires of men to things that do not exist.
This chapter just leads you to think about love, and attraction. How the Devil does and could have a hand in these dealings.

3 comments:

Tylor said...

The idea that a relationship between a Christian and a non-believer is Devil's way of 'corrupting' the Christian is an idea that I kind of thought about a lot myself lately. As what many may consider myself a non-believer, I found myself in a very similar situation to this. However, whether it is the Devil's attempt at corrupting the believer is debatable. Anyway, an interesting passage from the Bible that really deals with this topic I found was 1 Corinthians 7:12-14 if you are interested.

Becky Danek said...

I liked this letter a lot too because it talked about love and also scrutinized men and women in how we chose a significant other. Your last sentence was very eye catching to me, how the devil can play a part in falling in love and being attracted to another person. It made me think about all of the times i've questioned a relationship... Your blog was really interesting! Good insight! :)

Yessy said...

The temptation occurs in a Christian or no Christian relationship. It is believed that being Christian will help to avoid this temptation. That is not true. The flesh is flesh. What it works is a strong will. For sure the 99.9% of humans go thru this temptation.